Thursday, February 02, 2006

NightJohn

An idea for using this book in the classroom is to use it during the month of February which is "Black History Month". I would attempt to create a small Jackdaw with this book showing pictures and artifacts from both American and Canadian history and their individual treatment of the African American/Canadian people. I am not completely familiar with the Canadian history of the African Canadian people but the American history is well documented. What I do know is that in the Atlantic provinces there is a large population of the African Canadian people and from my understanding, they were treated with disdain as well by the dominate people. I would want to explore this idea fully before making more of a comment, but this is one idea for this book

1 Comments:

Blogger Sophia said...

Sounds like a great way to incorporate the book, Graham! Alot of African American slaves escaped to Canada (I think to eastern Canada - I know they traveled through Lake Erie) through the Underground Railway. I'm so fascinated by this event in history and I'm proud to be a Canadian because of it! It floors me that people could be so cruel to others because of a difference in race - it really angers me that African Americans were treated so inhumanly! I will keep your suggestion of how to use Night John in mind! Thanks also for the reminder of Black History Day. Do you know what day this is on? (Feb. 20 is Heritage Day... is that the same?)

2:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home