Sunday, January 29, 2006

Number Four, Bobby Orr


This book was written by Mike Leonetti. This story is about a boy, Joey, who breaks his leg while playing hockey. Well recovering from his injury, Joey writes a letter to his hero Bobby Orr, the hockey player. Bobby Orr responds to the boy's letter and sends him tickets to the Stanley cup final. Bobby Orr proceeds to score a goal (there is a famous photograph of this goal being scored, Bobby Orr was "flying through the air" when he shot the puck). Here is a link for the picture. Bobby Orr scoring the goal.
This story can be used with a variety of different age groups, and I have found that the age group of 8-12 year olds respond well to the story.
I have used this story with a number of different classes and situations. If I was going to teach a class about writing letters, I would read this story to them and talk about the qualities of a good letter. I would then have the students write a letter to personal hero of theirs.
I have also used this story with a small group (6 students) of males who were having trouble with reading comprehension. The story appealed to them because it was about hockey, there favorite sport. I was albe to find the famous picture in a book about hockey.
I know that there are other "hockey books" that appeal to young readers as well. "My Leaf Sweater" is one by Mike Leonetti.
Hopefully there will be one about the Vancouver Canucks soon. I know of many young readers who would enjoy reading about the 'nucks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

Of course, I forgot about Roch Carrier's book about the hockey sweater. This is a classic, and one that I should try and add to my collection. I believe it is the first picture book about a boy and his love of a particular NHL hockey team. It is a great book.
Two comments about your posting Curtis:
1. The Canucks do not suck, they are just trying to find many ways to lose. They have done that for their entire history, except on 2 occasions.
2. Because of the insult about the Canucks, and the use of the word "sucks" on my blog, I have to ask if your avatar is a self picture?

9:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home