Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Young Man and the Sea


I have just finished reading this novel, and it is excellent. Not to be confused with the Ernest Hemingway classic "The Old Man and the Sea", this is a story about a 12 year old boy Skiff who must contend with an emotionally drained father (the boy's mother had recently passed away), a rich bully and the rigors of the sea to produce enough money to get the family boat Mary Rose repaired. At first Skiff traps for lobsters, but he will eventaully go after the biggest fish in the sea, the blue fin tuna. I will not tell you what happens, but it is a very good story. It is written from the first person (Skiff's point of view) and so there are some uses of slang in it.
I enjoyed it because of my fasination with boats and the sea- not having sea salt air in Prince George is difficult for me. I feel that if the author would add more detail and richness to the story he could compete with the Hemingway classic (I have not read the Hemingway story but would like to in May).
This story would appeal to many boys because of the problems that Skiff is presented with. He has to use his brains, but also is not afraid to use blunt strength to help solve the obstacles that he is faced.
This story is being used for a grade 5 novel study. I admit that the novel has been assigned as the novel of choice, it is a story that I would not have thought of until my cooperating teacher said this is the story she would like to use.
If you have not read this story and you like the "sea life", please give this story a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home